Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Nick Clegg rails against British class snobbery 'We need an open society, in which people choose their place,' says Liberal Democrat deputy prime minister

The problem is a perception that there is class snobbery.  People cling to it, and use it as an excuse.

My problem is the opposite, I come from working stock and am proud of it.  We were very poor when I was growing up (alright, I went to school with cornflakes boxes as soles in my shoes.  So some people can't afford cornflakes, and other don't have shoes, but generally speaking.....) but I belonged to a public library, I read, and I speak well.  So it is generally assumed I went to University - I didn't (did years at night school) it is generally assumed I come from a privileged background - I don't!

But I have no problem talking with Princes and Princesses (yes, I have) or people from any walk of life.

And while it would be nice to have what I have achieved acknowledged, I know what can be achieved, and Nick Clegg (who has no idea) is a poor apologist and doing no one any favours.